Making Immigration Matters As Easy As Possible.

Improve Your Chances Of Getting A Green Card

Getting a U.S. green card is no easy task. The law and process are extremely complicated. The best thing you can do is work with an immigration lawyer who practices solely in this challenging area of law and has the experience to guide you through the process.

You will find that at Empire Immigration Law, PLLC in Buffalo, New York, Ramon Irizarry is a skilled and capable immigration attorney with more than a decade of experience handling all kinds of green card applications.

You deserve to have someone who cares about you working to help you during this transformative and exciting time. You probably have so many questions, and Mr. Irizarry can answer those for you during a free initial consultation. Call 888-606-3005 today to get started.

What Is A Green Card?

If you want to be able to live or work in the United States permanently and legally, then a green card might be the right option for you. For those who would like to eventually go through the process of naturalization to become a citizen of the United States, having a green card is a stepping stone. Whether you are trying to get a green card for yourself or you would like to sponsor a family member, it’s important to have the right lawyer with you. Attorney Irizarry can guide you through all aspects of the green card application process.

Are You Eligible For A Green Card?

Whether you are eligible for a green card is dependent on your family relationships or your immigration status, as well as your immigration history. There are many different ways in which you can apply for your green card, including:

Mr. Irizarry can review your situation and let you know if you’re eligible.

Being A Sponsor For A Family Member

If you are here looking for information about how you can sponsor a family member as a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident, talk to Mr. Irizarry for guidance specific to your situation. You may be able to sponsor a spouse, parent or child, all of whom would be considered your immediate relatives. They have to have entered this country legally, regardless of whether or not they have overstayed their visa. You would immediately apply for an adjustment of status here because, as immediate family, you would not be put on a wait list. If you are in the country, this can happen in well under six months.

If you are looking to sponsor your child who is over the age of 21 or your sibling and you are a U.S. citizen, unfortunately, there will be a wait list for your family member because these types of petitions are limited every year. If this person you would like to sponsor is already inside of the United States, they have to have come here legally and have lawful immigration status in order to be eligible for you to sponsor them.

Mr. Irizarry can look to see if there are exceptions that might apply in your case. Anyone who filed a petition with the USCIS or Department of Labor before April 30, 2001, might be eligible for an exception. Get in touch right away to find out whether or not the person you would like to sponsor qualifies to adjust their status and obtain permanent residency here. If this is an immediate relative with legal status in the United States, and they have not filed an application before the previously mentioned date, there is something called a provisional waiver that Mr. Irizarry might be able to help you with. Call to learn more.

Having Conditional Residency

If you have a marriage-based green card but are heading toward divorce and are worried, contact Mr. Irizarry as soon as possible. Please understand that, if the marriage is under two years, your green card is conditional. You will have to file to remove the condition within 90 days of this card being expired. Otherwise, you could face deportation. Keep all of your documentation related to your marriage so you can prove at any time to immigration services that this is a legitimate marriage.

Two Routes For Applying For A Green Card

If you are looking to get a green card (also known as lawful permanent residency), there are two possible routes:

  • Adjustment of status allows those who are already lawfully in the United States to remain here throughout the green card process. The interviews for adjustment of status happen at your local USCIS office rather than abroad. If you entered the U.S. on a valid visa that has expired, you may still qualify for adjustment of status.
  • Consular processing is for those who are not yet in the U.S., or who are here but didn’t enter with a lawful immigration status. You will have to go through your consulate or the U.S. Embassy in your own country in order to apply for permanent residency in the United States. It’s important to check with a lawyer first to see which embassy offices are open if you would like to go through the consular process, as the rules for those interviews are prone to change.

Why You Should Hire a Lawyer

You might be wondering: why is it beneficial for me to have a lawyer? For example, let’s say that you are a specialized employee and someone is really trying to get you to work for them. You might be able to qualify for several different types of visas and possibly different types of green cards, and it might be a challenge for you to know what the right decision is to make. Mr. Irizarry can help you understand what is going to suit your needs best.

Also, let’s say that you just got engaged to a U.S. citizen, and you plan to live with them in the States. You might not know what the right move to make is. If you get married before you move to the United States, you have an immediate right to a green card as opposed to going through the process of a fiancé visa, which allows you to come to the country and get married at a later date rather than going through the green card process through an adjustment of status. Mr. Irizarry can help you pick the best option for you that is faster and less expensive.

Once You Have A Green Card, Avoid Losing Your Status

You need to protect your status dearly. Be sure that you do not violate either criminal laws or immigration laws when you are in the United States. Your residency can be swiftly taken away from you if you do that. Likewise, you can also lose your status if you spend too much time outside the United States.

If you have any questions about this or concerns you’d like to discuss, Mr. Irizarry is more than happy to talk to you.

Discuss Your Green Card Options During A Free Consultation

If you need to know more about obtaining a green card or have questions about other immigration matters, please contact Empire Immigration Law, PLLC at 888-606-3005 for a free initial consultation. Mr. Irizarry can address your concerns and let you know how he can help.