Making Immigration Matters As Easy As Possible.

4 Family Immigration Tips That May Help Your Case

On Behalf of | Apr 4, 2022 | Empire Immigration Law Blog, Family Based Immigration

If you are looking to lawfully reside in the U.S. permanently, check out our 4 family immigration tips that may help your case. Call us now!

1) Applying for Permanent Residency

Recently, we received a phone call from a potential client who wanted information on the green card application process. He was applying for his family members and his question was about the documents. His question was, “What documents do I need to file if I want to sponsor a family member?” The first thing we told him was every case is different, but you must file documents that prove eligibility. For example, one of the requirements is that you must prove the relationship.

You want to file documents that will prove the exact relationship. For example, if you’re filing for your spouse, you want to file the marriage certificate. You also want to file documents that will show that it’s a real marriage. If you’re filing for a child, you want to file a birth certificate. You want to file identity documents and any other documents that are going to prove all of the other eligibility requirements.

If you have any questions about the documents to submit or to file along with your green card application, please give us a call.

2) U.S. Citizen Sponsoring Relatives

We receive a lot of phone calls from potential clients. A lot of them are U.S. citizens, and a lot of them want to apply for green cards for their family members. A common question that we receive is, “What family members can I apply for if I’m a U.S. citizen?” If you are a U.S. citizen, you can apply for your spouse, your parents, your children, your siblings, and even your stepchildren, as along as the marriage that create the step relationship took place before the child’s 18th birthday.

If you have any questions about family members that you can sponsor for permanent residency or any other immigration matters, please give us a call.

3) How to Get a K-1 Fiancé Visa

Our office receives a lot of inquiries from U.S. citizens who have fiancés who live outside of the country. These clients often ask how they can get fiancé visas.

The process starts with USCIS. You file the appropriate paperwork with the USCIS. Once this is approved, then USCIS will send the paperwork over to the National Visa Center. At the National Visa Center stage, what you’ll do is you’ll file the non-immigrant visa application, the DS-160. You will also file all the additional required documents with the National Visa Center.

Once everything is satisfactory, the National Visa Center will then forward all of the documents over to the appropriate U.S. Embassy or Consulate, where your fiancé will attend their non-immigrant visa interview. If all goes well, the application will be approved and your fiancé can enter the United States on a K-1 visa. What this means is your fiancé and you will have 90 days to get married. Once you get married within those 90 days, you can then file for adjustment of status and your future spouse will become a lawful permanent resident.

If you have any questions about the fiancé visa process, adjustment of status, or any other immigration related matters, give us a call.

4) Marrying an Immigrant

Recently, we received a phone call from a potential client. She was a U.S. citizen and has a long-term boyfriend. The problem is that her boyfriend does not have lawful status in the United States, and she wanted to know if it was okay to marry him. Her question was, “Can I marry an immigrant in the United States?” The answer to that question is, yes, you can. You can marry an immigrant in the United States.

After you are married, you can then apply for a green card, but you have to do it the right way. There are eligibility requirements that you must meet, including proving that it is a bona fide or good-faith marriage, and not a sham marriage entered into only for the purpose of getting a green card. If you have any questions about the green card application process, give us a call. If you or a loved one are looking to lawfully reside in the United States permanently and have questions, check out our 4 family immigration tips that may help your case. Then, contact our experienced New York family-based immigration lawyer today for a free consultation and case evaluation.