Making Immigration Matters As Easy As Possible.

3 Adjustment of Status Tips

On Behalf of | Jul 12, 2021 | Adjustment of Status, Empire Immigration Law Blog

Are you looking to obtain a Green Card? Check out these 3 adjustment of status tips for guidance, then contact our Buffalo lawyer today.

1. Qualifying For An Adjustment of Status

Our office recently received a phone call from a potential client. She had questions about adjustment of status and wanted to know, “How do I qualify for adjustment of status?” We talked about the eligibility requirements and explained to her, first of all, in this case, you need to have a qualifying lawful permanent resident or U.S. citizen family member who is willing to sponsor you. You must also prove that this sponsoring family member is capable of financially supporting you. You also have to prove that you lawfully entered the United States. In addition, you have to prove that you do not have any criminal or immigration bars that would prevent you from getting your green card.

Finally, you also have to show that, as a matter of discretion, you deserve your green card. This is a long and complicated process, but we’re here to guide you through it. We want to work with you. Give us a call. We’d love to talk to you about your adjustment status case or any other immigration matters.

2. I-751 Petition

Recently, we received a phone call from a former client who we had helped get a green card. She is a conditional resident, and she just received a letter in the mail that instructed her to file the I-751. Her question to us was, “What is the I-751?” We explained to her that the I-751 is the petition to remove conditions on residents. This is required for people who have conditional residence, people who married U.S. citizens or lawful permanent residents, and, within two years of entering into the marriage, filed for their green card.

The government requires people who are conditional residents to remove these conditions to show that they are, in fact, in a real, bona fide marriage and not a sham marriage entered into only for the purpose of getting their green card. When you file the I-751, you not only file the application, but you also want to file documents that will show that you are in a loving relationship— a real marriage.

If you have any questions about the I-751 or any other immigration related matters, give us a call. We would love to talk to you.

3. Ineligible For An Adjustment of Status

Not that long ago, we received a phone call from a potential client. She wanted to gain lawful status here in the United States, and so we talked about potential forms of relief and ways in which she would be able to remain lawfully in the United States. We were able to identify one way that she can remain here, but, unfortunately, adjustment of status was not one of those ways that she could remain here. The question came up, “Who is not eligible for adjustment of status?”

People who are not eligible for adjustment of status are people who cannot prove that they are eligible to receive this form of relief, for example, people who cannot prove that they have a qualifying U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident family member. Also, people who did not enter the United States lawfully cannot adjust their status to become permanent residents. People who have certain criminal convictions can never become permanent residents here in the United States. Finally, people who have prior orders of removal or past immigration violations cannot adjust to become permanent residents.

If you have any questions about the adjustment of status process or any other immigration matters, give us a call. We’d love to talk to you about it.

Do you or your loved one need help with immigration related legal matters and have questions about our 3 adjustment of status tips? Contact our experienced New York immigration lawyers today for a free consultation and case evaluation.